JOB – To photograph a restaurant called The Common that features FOOD, MUSIC and CULTURE for an Editorial piece. The Common website can be seen at www.thecommon.ca
1. Professional photographers never admit when they don’t do a good job on a shoot… Our egos are too big and we always like to give off the appearance that we are awesome. So when a shoot doesn’t go well Its never our fault. Everyone else is an idiot.
2. Fact is these photographs you are looking at are from a re-shoot.
3. The reason the first shoot wasn’t a “success” was that the Art Direction and my Vision were not really in sync with one another. I shot wide the AD wanted tight. But we never really discussed this. Its not that the first photographs were bad, but they weren’t what the AD was looking for. In the end the Art Director is always right.
3. As in the first shoot, I noticed The Common has some pretty cool staff, so I had no problem using them in my photographs in the reshoot.
4. The reshoot was less about the food and more about the restaurant in general, so I kept the food photographs to a minimum focusing on people, staff and the environment. I did add some simple food prep shots for good measure.